Thursday, July 31, 2008

Baby Charlotte Update

Well, the end of my pregnancy is drawing near. Hooray! I had a doctor appointment this morning (they're weekly now), and Charlotte seems to be doing wonderful. I've started to lose weight which the doctor said is good at the end of pregnancy since this isn't a point where I want to be gaining weight. We talked about the pain I've been having in my left leg along my shin. For those of you who know me pretty well, you know I am GREAT at worrying. Everyday I would ask Adam if he thought I had a blood clot. We went for a long walk last night (and by long walk I mean a mile or so long hike) and that helped make the pain go away. The doctor said that the pain was good (yeah, I don't know how I feel about that choice of words). He said that I've gained about 30% of my original body weight, and it would be strange if I wasn't having aches and pains because of it. He suggested I just keep walking every night for at least 30 minutes. No problem! I slept like a rock last night.
The doctor visit cleared up another fear of mine today...how big is the baby??? My mom (bless her heart) had BIG babies. I came out a whopping 9 lbs., and I was about 5 days early. She was lucky enough to carry the twins full term, but each of them came out weighing over 7lbs. That was at least 15lbs. of baby inside of her at one time. And then, the one who beat us all...Dallen. That newborn wasn't really a newborn in his 10lb. 11oz. glory! YIKES! I think that I am very much justified in worrying about having big babies knowing my mother's history. Well, the doctor did a little guessing from his measurements and feeling around and says she's probably about 6 1/2 lbs. right now. He doesn't think she'll weigh more than 7 1/2 at birth. Whew! I think I can handle that! :)
The doctor also thinks that I'll have the baby between 38 and 39 weeks...that's next week folks! Now, I know doctors can be completely wrong. She may be perfectly content to cook in there until 40 weeks or later. I've already started dilating and effacing, and the doctor says most women don't dilate so early during their first pregnancy. If everything goes smoothly, and I haven't had the baby by my next doctor's appointment (this next Thursday), the doctor says that we can schedule to have me induced so that my mom will know exactly when to drive up to Ohio. That means this baby will definitly be here before 40 weeks (Ma, start packing your bags). Hooray!

23 comments:

mini-wheats said...

Yay!!! I can't wait to see pictures of her!

Amber said...

YAYAYYAYAYYA WHOOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOO PARTY TIME! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU TO QUIT YOUR JOB, HAVE YOUR BABY, AND THEN WE CAN PARRRTTTYYYY!!!! Seriously, hurry up!

Amber said...

oh yeah and congrats on not having a 20 pounder... that would be awkward!

eddie said...

Wow! That is so great! i bet you are thrilled.

ed and brooke said...

Sorry, that was Brooke by the way

Rachel Holloway said...

CONGRATS! Can't wait to meet the mini nelson! :)

The Frasers said...

ahhhhh yay! I am so excited for you!! maybe you won't have a month to pack after all!!!

Aubrey said...

where do you get your lay outs they are so cute!

beckee said...

Yeah!!! SO exciting! This is the best part-when you ge to hold that little baby and look at her! I am so excited for pictures! Sounds like all is well! I will say that I didn't even realize I sould worry about big babies until my 3rd was JUST shy of 9 lbs (surprise!) And my little Kindle (the 4th) was 9 1/2 pounds...crazy!! Lucky you to have a smaller one! (Though if she ended up being bigger-you could handle it!)

Wendy said...

This is getting so exciting. It sounds like you are on your way. My nephew's wife decided to have their first baby in a home-birth with a midwife. I was a bit scared but she delivered in a total of 15 hours and everything went great. Please don't try that. I have a feeling all will be well.

Karlene said...

What can I say except...my heart is racing in anticipation...doggone it, I'm also terribly emotional, you'd think I was the one about to have a baby. I get all teary eyed just thinking about her. Don't worry, I'll be packed and ready to go. Can't wait to see you and your beautiful little family.

Sarah said...

I know you are excited! Keep walking, that's what I did, and I had Kaia a week early. I started to dilate at about 35 weeks with her. I am so happy for you. And I know your mama can't wait!

Starleigh said...

Laura, Laura,
I hope (for your sake) that your doctor is right. I was 4cm for three weeks with my first AND they told me she was at least 8 pounds and she came out at 6lb.9oz.
You just never know with these little babies until they are here! Good Luck!!

E said...

i can't believe it is coming up so soon!!! good luck... you'll love it - when it's all over. ;)

Lara said...

oh, I'm so excited for you! Now we just got to get that little girl all prettied up with cute clothes from your shower.

emily said...

Horray! I'm so glad you have those things cleared up. I'm worried about having bigger babies too. My family had small babies, but Michael's family had bigger ones. I'm hoping that the babies take after my side.

Good luck with everything Laura!!!

Jessica said...

Congrats, Laura!! I am so excited and happy for you!! You will have to post all the pictures you can!! Goodluck this next week!!

Heidi said...

And the count down begins!!! You are lucky your doctor will allow an inducement. My Sarah was 2 weeks late!! I am glad my mom scheduled her trip to match up with my BYU graduation, otherwise she would have just been sitting and waiting. Sarah came 2 days before she got there instead...so I had just gotten home from the hospital.

Good Luck!!!!

Kim said...

Laura, am so excited for you and Adam. And of course your mom, talk to her everyday and she can hardly wait for her new granddaughter. Post lots of pictures of my new great niece, I can't wait to see what she looks like.

Rachel Holloway said...

Hey--the recipe for that pb dessert is on my recipe blog...and it was SO good...I might have a piece for breakfast. :) jk!

Jodi said...

Can't wait to see little baby Nelson. We are so excited for you!

Caralee said...

Hooray- She is on her way! I'm so excited to see pictures of this beautiful girl to be!

Cheril Lunt said...

OH I so remember those days of wondering and waiting... Enjoy it while you can... They go by so fast... I really can't wait to see her... Good Luck with everything.