Thursday, August 7, 2008

Welcome Good Charlotte

After 8 months and 3 weeks of pregnancy and 32 hours of labor, the groundhog finally emerged from her home and announced that spring is upon us. Charlotte Eleanor Nelson was born yesterday evening at 6:59 pm. She weighed in at 6 lbs and 15 ounces, and she is 19 inches long. She already has more hair than her dad (which isn't saying much I guess). She is sporting a full head of dark hair, and if you look closely you can even see her eyebrows already. Although she is just a little gal, she put up quite the struggle. Laura woke up Tuesday morning to slight contractions that were inconsistent and not too strong, so being the trooper she is, she decided to go to work anyway (against her husband's wishes I might add). Dad went home to get everything ready (play some Wii) for going to the hospital. Laura gave me a call around 2:30 and said we had better get on with it. I grabbed everything that I thought we needed (forgeting almost all of the essentials, I guess there are things more important than the video camera) and dashed to pick her up. We got to the hospital on Tuesday around 3 pm, and we were subsiquentally released around 6pm with the nurse basically saying don't be such a wimp to Laura (she didn't get a good tip for her service). We went home and ate pizza and watched chick flicks (I know, I know, big sacrifice on my part, get ready Johnny). I tried to sleep a little, but the contractions seemed to keep both of us awake for some strange reason. We went for a 4 a.m. drive around the neighborhood trying to find a store open with fruit (which later became grapes after we found everything else but grapes specifically). And we gave up and went back home. A couple hours later Laura's contractions got really regular and really intense, so we dashed back to the hospital (within the bounds of the law, don't worry mom). We arrived around 8, and we were allowed to stay this time and were admitted around 10 a.m. By this time Laura had dialated to around a 5 and she was more than ready for the drugs. Unfortunately the drug doctors were a little backed up (i guess some other people were enjoying the same evening we were around 9 months ago, if you catch my drift). They gave Laura a shot of Nubain, which is a Narcotic to take away some of the pain, and Laura was on cloud nine. It was Laura's first time to ever use "drugs" in her life and she said, "I really like this stuff." It was really funny to see Laura "under the influence", because she was in pain still but she was having a great time anyway. It is safe to say that Laura would definately be a drug addict given the chance (Ok, ok, I know, I'm getting on with it). Laura did finally get the epidural around 1 p.m. and then it was a waiting game. Laura slept and I watched the Indians game on the hospital T.V. That's right, baseball is still imporant, even under these circumstances. Things got exciting around 6:30 when Laura was ready to push. Laura did wonderfully (probably because of the amazing coaching she had from the incredible dark, bald, and handsome man sitting beside her), and the birth was done in less than half an hour. Charlotte came out wide-eyed and screaming, trumpeting her arrival into this world. There were no complications at all, unless you consider 32 hours of labor a complication. She was in her parents arms within minutes and mom and dad were fighting over who's turn it was to hold her for the rest of the night.

35 comments:

Charlissa said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! SHE IS SO STINKIN CUTE!!! I WILL BE HER FAVORITE AUNT!!!! I AM VERY DETERMINED!!!!!

emily said...

She is just gorgeous. Wow. Good job Laura! It sounds so rough!!!

mini-wheats said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations! We are so happy for you both!

Karen Nelson said...

Charlotte looks like an angel. She is very gorgeous and Laura, you look so great for just having a baby! How do you do it???
Adam thanks for posting the pics and do not take this as being ungrateful...but more...we need more!
Love all 3 of you soooo much!!!

Cassie said...

I am so glad to hear that everything went well....makes me a little less ancy...not really. Charlotte looks great! So so cute. Good luck over the next few weeks. Love you guys. Oh and by the way (sorry has to be said) Adam you totally sound/write like Dad!

Katie said...

Congrats! She is beautiful! Good job pushing, that's amazing only a 1/2 hour!

Rachel Holloway said...

Adam, you are such a guy!! Nuff said there...

Laura, GREAT JOB! What a beautiful little girl! I can't wait to see her in person!

Good luck recouping! We will be thinking of you...

Audrey said...

yah! Congrats you guys! She looks beautiful!

The Frasers said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I can't BELIEVE all that HAIR!! She's the cutest baby! And Laura, you looked amazing for saying you were in labor for 32 HOURS!!!!!!!I'm real excited for ya'll! Congrats! And Adam, you tell great stories! What a lucky little girl!! Congrats guys!

Amber said...

She is sooo adorable!!! Congratulations you guys! We can't wait to see her... seriously! CALL US when we can come hold the little princess. :)

beckee said...

Yeah!!! She is beautiful!!! Congrats and welcome to the joys of parenthood! Life just got a whole lot more complicated, but a WHOLE lot more fun and fulfilling!!! I am so excited for you guys.

Oh, and Charlissa, if you are determined to be the favorite aunt, you should totally talk to your cousin Stefanie-she had the same goal and has bribed her way into that position pretty well...

Jessica said...

Oh my goodness, Laura!! She is absolutely gorgeous!!! You look so great and I am soo excited and happy for you!!! I can't wait to see more pictures!! Congratulations Adam and Laura!! :)

Heidi said...

Yea!!!! Congratulations!!! She is absolutely B E A U T I F U L !!!!
(And almost on Sarah's b-day..hers is today)

I am so happy for you and glad that everything went safe and smoothly!

Merde said...

Congrats Laura and Adam! I am glad to hear everything went well. She is so adorable and I can't wait to see more pictures!

Mother Goose said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! Have fun!!!

Mother Goose said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! Have fun!!!

Mother Goose said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! Have fun!!!

Mother Goose said...

Oops! I guess I got a little finger happy!

Sarah said...

Congrats on the baby! She's beautiful! We can't wait to see her, now the odds are even with 2 girls against the twin boys! Ha Ha! The struggle continues! Anyways let us know if you need anything!

Randee Mecham said...

She is so cute! Congrats guys! I have a present for her so let me know when we can come see her! Sharlie wants to meet her new best friend!

Lara said...

oh, so sweet! I can't wait to see her in real life!

Cheril Lunt said...

She is just perfect... I just love small babies... Looks like you do too:)

Kim said...

She is beautiful, you two have every reason in the world to be proud. Congrats! She reminds me of you when you were a baby. Showed her pictures to Grandma Dee, she wanted me to send her love and congratulation,and says you have a little doll there. Post more pictures!

Larysa said...

Congratulations you guys!! She is precious! I am glad everything went well!

Steph & James said...

YAY!!! Baby Nelson is here! Congrats to your new little family, we are so happy for you guys! Can't wait to her hold her next time we're in town! She's beautiful!!

Wendy said...

That beautiful little girl has the best of both of you. I'm so glad everything went well. Get ready for the best adventure you'll ever have. Love you all so much.

Jodi said...

Congratulations!! She is a beautiful baby- can't wait to meet her.

E said...

she is BEAUTIFUL!! congratulations, i am so happy for you. i can't wait to see more pictures!!

Seth and Emily said...

We are so happy for you guys!!! What a wonderful blessing. We can´t wait to get home and see her. She is so precious. You will be such wonderful parents. Thanks for everything you have done for us. You are definately the bestest friends in the world. we love you!

Anonymous said...

HOla Familia Nelson,
FELICIDADES POR LA NENA, preciosa que les ha nacido, estamos muy contentos de poder ver las fotos, aunque al parecer tiene mucha hambre noo????
QUe El Padre Celestial les bendiga mucho y les guarde.
COn mucho amor desde COlombia
Gran MOther, Jose Luis y Clarena

Anonymous said...

HOla Laurita y esposito y claro está hermosa bebe, saludos de la tìa liliana, de los primos angelica, andres yjeronimo.
Que DIos les bendiga.

Photography By Jo said...

Congratulations!!! She is beautiful!!!

Starleigh said...

Congratulations laura! She is beautiful and you look great.

Carolyn said...

Congrats Laura and Adam. She is so cute. Now to many new adventures.

Candi said...

Congrats!!!!! She is beautiful!