Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day Two - Three Fears...

and how they became so.

One - Being lonely.  I cannot even remember when this became a fear because it's been a fear of mine for so long.  I have a strong need for companionship (like all the time).  Remember me stating that my mom was my best friend growing up?  Well, when I got home from school I would follow her around all evening and just talk to her while she cooked dinner, cleaned, etc.  (I probably should have helped her with those things while I was talking instead of just sitting there blabbing away.)  Before I got married, I would get really worked up about my husband dying before I did...that I would be left all alone in my old age and terribly lonely.  I'm grateful though for prayer and the answers I've received that have helped me to keep this fear in check.  Because I like companionship so much, my favorite part of the day is when my husband comes home.

Two - Scarring my children for life.  I worry about this all the time when I'm disciplining them.  I just really want to have a good relationship with all of my kids, and I want for them to feel good about themselves now and as adults.

Three - E.T./aliens.  I watched this movie for the first time when I was probably four...way too young in my opinion. I watched it at my friend Jacque's house, and they had a statue/figure of him in the upstairs of their home. I had a very intense fear of this alien growing up that led to a fear of aliens and being abducted by them in general.  Add in the movie "Flight of the Navigator" and I went through a phase where I was convinced that I had been taken by aliens in the night and they erased my memory of it.  While the fear isn't as strong as it used to be, I'm still pretty sure that if someone were to place a picture of him somewhere in my house or beside my bed while I was sleeping I would scream and/or pee my pants.  There is no way I can watch this movie.  I no longer fear being abducted by aliens.

4 comments:

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

I share you're first two fears! And I definitely think E.T. plain creepy. I totally went through a small phase where I thought I would be abducted! I even left a note saying, "please don't take me, my family needs me, I have dreams to accomplish here on Earth." and put it on my stomach before I fell asleep.

Jenny G said...

I have a constant fear that I am scarring my children. I didn't even realize I had it until I read this post. I knew that I didn't want to, but now I recognize it as a scary fear.

You don't know how bad I want to mail you a picture of ET:)

Cassie said...

I have never liked ET either!

Karen said...

Well, ET never scared me, but the other two are things I think about very often.