Let's start with my dad.
I am the only girl with four younger brothers so I always felt like I have a very different relationship with him than any of my brothers do. He always made me feel like a princess. Like I had something to offer that no other girl did. He was always pushing me to be better.
My dad is a great example to me of a hard worker and provider. He taught me the importance of education and hard work and was a lot of the driving force in my studies growing up. He set the standard for the kind of hard working man I wanted to marry. I know he sacrificed so much to make it possible for my mom to stay home with us.
I also have to say that my dad makes me feel safe. I come from a very huggy family, but hugs from my dad are always different. Whenever he hugs me, I feel protected and safe - as though he wouldn't let anything hurt or harm me. Sometimes when life gets hard even now I just really want a hug from him.
I'm so grateful he's my dad. We don't talk a lot - he's not really a phone talker, but I know he's there for me.
Now I already mentioned before that my mom is now my 2nd best friend (A boy named Adam took the lead about 6 years ago).
I talk to her everyday (except for in Spring because it's gardening season and she's too busy for her only daughter. I'm just a little bitter. Are you reading this mom? CALL ME).
I always wanted to be my mom when I grew up. Then I did and realized how extremely difficult that task is going to be. I've learned a lot about sacrifice by becoming a mom that has helped me appreciate my mom so much more. I also feel like it's made us closer. I know she can relate to what I'm going through and give me wise advice.
She's a great listener.
She is also SO selfless. Everytime I turn around she is serving and helping someone else. When I was in Georgia staying with my family during externships, I was able to see how she notices those in need and her approach in offering help. I'm trying to learn as much as I can in this area because her selfless service is an attribute I want to obtain.
I feel really blessed to have my parents. I am grateful that they took the time to teach me the gospel of Jesus Christ. This, more than anything else they have taught me, is reason enough to rejoice in my relationship with my parents. They have shared with me the knowledge that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me. They taught me what I need to do to have a relationship with him and the Savior. It has provided me with a foundation to build my life on, and I pray I can do for my children, what my parents did for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment