I have a faint memory from my childhood where I was cleaning something. I don't know if I was cleaning the bathroom or the kitchen or what surface I was cleaning. All I remember is that there was something that was hard to get off. My mom came and sat by my side when I told her that I couldn't clean the entire mess up, and she proceeded to tell me that some messes require "elbow grease." I expected her to take the rag and start scrubbing, but she handed the rag back to me and told me that I just needed to put a little more effort, strength and time into what I was cleaning, eventually it would come up. So, I scrubbed. I also thought how foolish my mother must be. She was stronger than me, and it would easy for her to scrub off the gunk that was such a challenge to me.
This experience came to my mind the other day as I was cleaning off an exceptionally stubborn mess on my kitchen counter. My mother's words, "Use elbow grease" popped into my head. I chuckled to myself as I realized how wise she was in teaching me about elbow grease and not rescuing me every time a mess got too difficult to handle. Somehow, in my childhood mind, I always figured she would be around to clean up anything that needed elbow grease.
The truth is, this goes far beyond housekeeping. As life continues to unfold, I realize that mom was teaching me to apply "elbow grease" to all of life's tough situations. There isn't always someone around who is stronger or even willing to clean up your life's messes. This may seem trivial, but I have a very difficult time making phone calls that have to do with day to day business (bills, doctor appointments, banking, insurance, etc.). For some reason, I thought that I would just get over it one day, or I would marry someone who would take care of the phone calls. Well, neither happened, and phone calls still need to be made. I've had to use elbow grease and just put a little more effort, strength and time into getting over this phobia of mine.
Messes happen in life. Sometimes, I think Heavenly Father does exactly what my mom did with that mess from my childhood. He doesn't come clean everything up for us when it gets hard. We still have to do it on our own, but the Savior is right beside us, teaching us the best way to make it clean.
Where do you have to use elbow grease?
6 comments:
Laura, I always love reading your blog--it is so uplifting! This is a funny way to look at that, but it is so true. I was thinking about something similar the other day, but this was definitely a positive answer to the question I had. Thanks!
You should write a talk for the Ensign! No seriously you should! :)
Where do I have to use elbow grease? I have been thinking about that for a couple of days now. I have to use elbow grease in most aspects of my life it seems and I recognize that I am now having to use it in places I never used to. So, it is obvious that I need to be relying on Heavenly Father and my Savior more than I have ever before. I don't think that life gets easier as you experience it but I do think that we grow ever more aware of how much we cannot do anything worthwhile on our own. We are never alone even if we think we are because we always have air to breathe and that in and of itself is a miracle.
Thanks Laura!
I am a lot like you when it comes to making phone calls but, I am getting better at it. I have to admit that here lately I have needed a little "elbow grease" just to get through everyday. I don't mind it though, I like a challenge. =c) I have really enjoyed this post by the way.
Laura, I loved this! This was SO SO SO how my mom was, and I just really feel like it's perfect. Aren't you grateful for mothers like ours?
Once again I stand in awe at my own daughter and the wisdom that flows through you. You are so amazing and so wise and such an inspiration to me. You have taught me so much in life and once again I am learning from you and now I'll look at "elbow grease" in a whole different light. You have opened my eyes to the small lessons we learn in life and the big impact they can make on us. Thanks for being my teacher today.
Hugs forever, Ma
Post a Comment