Saturday, June 26, 2010

Charlotte's name

Naming a child is a big decision. Here are the "rules" I've been informed of when deciding a name. - You don't want it to be too whimpy, or too butch either. - You don't want it to sound too old, yet not trendy. - You don't want it to sound too weird, yet not too boring. - You have to be careful naming them after someone still alive, cause that person could still do something really stupid and then your kid is stuck being named after someone........really stupid (so, no Jesse James Nelsons will be coming anytime soon). - You have to imagine every possible rhyming word and phrase and nickname associated with it, cause they will be called that. - You have to make sure it sounds good phenetically (sadly my wife won't let me name our future son Brock Lee, or Corey Ander). - You gotta make sure you aren't copying a friend that just had a kid by using the same name, cause that shows you have no creativity. - You have to make sure the name means something cool (for instance, another name my wife won't let me have is Nimrod, the mighty hunter......cool meaning, should work right?). - You have to make sure the initials don't spell something bad or embarrassing (a name like Pamela Marie Smith is doomed to failure) - you can't name them after Sci-Fi movie characters, that gets the kid an automatic Nerd stamp the rest of their lives, not to mention the parents too (no kids named Legolas or Skywalker are allowed). -Many other rules, but I'm sure I'm boring some folks now. Now I would like to add another rule to the rule book, and provide the example of why this rule applies. - You must consider how the name is going to sound as your child is learning to say their name. In other words, you gotta say it in baby talk before you give it your stamp of approval. The following video of Charlotte saying her name is my proof as to why this rule is vitally important to consider:
Now I'm not saying that I would have named her anything differently. As a matter of fact, the fact that she says her name like this makes our choice seem even wiser. How many other people out there have video evidence of their child cursing at 20 months old that you can share with future boyfriends and grandchildren. This goes into my file called "How to embarrass my daughter in the future". That is an important collection to have as a father.

10 comments:

Angela S said...

Oh that is cute! Tyler wasn't allowed to say chocolate at that age because it came out like coc shit....yeah fun times!

Jenny G said...

We just watched this a million times. It makes Sally so happy and the rest of us laugh our heads off! Good one.

Audrey said...

Greta used to have problems with my brother's name- Fletcher. It came out as "F*cker"

Em T said...

She is so cute. And losing that baby look... good thing you're having another...

PS that pause in the middle of her name is what really makes the video:D

ed and brooke said...

I am dying! too funny! Thanks for the naming "rules".

Cassie said...

LOL! LOL! LOL! LOVE IT! I love that girl!

Sarah said...

LOL...awesome! I love her.

Charlissa said...

HAHA! I LOVE IT! She is so sweet when she says it.

Sarah Coyne said...

OH, this is great!!!
We are right in the middle of this as our baby is due in 2 weeks and we still have NO idea what we are going to name it!!

Karen Nelson said...

Oh Adam...I know you are SO proud of her pronunciation. Did you help her learn it that way?
She is so dang cute and I love watching her over and over. Enjoy this because it won't be long before she will be able to say it perfectly.