Monday, July 6, 2009

Charlotte's First Fourth of July

I LOVE Independence Day! It is my favorite holiday by far (Yes, even more than Christmas). I've always held a special place in my heart for the liberty that I've been blessed with. I always get choked up during the fireworks scene in The Sandlot with "America the Beautiful" playing in the background, when we sing patriotic hymns at church, etc. One of my first fights with Adam was on the 4th of July, and it was about how we were going to spend the 4th. I wanted a full day of celebrating, and well...he didn't. He learned pretty quickly how important the holiday is for me and has happily celebrated ever since.
This year our friends, Seth and Emily, hosted a cookout. We had a wonderful time there eating hotdogs, salad, fruit and the cookie pizza/cake thing pictured above. It was my first time making a cookie sheet sized cookie. It was pretty tasty. There was good company and fun games!
Later that night we got together with some of our friends to watch the fireworks.
Emily and Seth

Matt, Kaia, Sarah, Gatlin and Gabriel (Sorry Sarah if I got the twins wrong!)
Brian, Ryker and Stephanie
And, as usual, I couldn't get Adam to make a normal face for any of the pictures.

Charlotte had a lot of fun until the fireworks actually started. Then she spent the rest of the night with her head buried in Adam's shoulder.
She wanted nothing to do with the fireworks! Hopefully she'll enjoy them more next year...

4 comments:

Charlissa said...

Laura... it looks like it was not just Adam that would not do a normal face for the pictures. You were the only one doing a normal smile. Adam was doing whatever and Charlotte was doing her cheesy smile. And I'm sure Adam was just loving the cuddles shhe was giving him during the fireworks.
Love the pictures Charlotte already looks like she has grown since y'all left.

Sarah said...

I am glad to know that I am not the only person that gets choked up when a patriotic song is played. =c) I have always loved Independence Day too. We had a lot of fun hanging out with you guys. If we are all here next year we will have to get together again.

Amber said...

Wow! Cool cookie! Looks like you guys had lots of fun! :)

Karen Nelson said...

Love Charlotte's cheesy smiles! I am so glad that y'all have such great friends to spend your time with. You know they say that friends are the family you get to choose.

I have always loved 4th of July too.
Fireworks are my fav!