Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Our Trip to the Dentist

So we went to the dentist today. Apparently you are supposed to go more often than once every 4-5 years, being that was the last time I went. Laura went first. Her visit took about 30 seconds. All they did was look at her teeth and then they asked her if they could use her teeth in the next toothpaste commercial because her teeth were perfect. Here is the picture they took of her teeth.


She came out grinning and informed me that she had no cavities. Then it was my turn. As I sat back in the chair I tried to make small talk as the dental hygienist gathered her stuff. Then she pulled out the grim reaper hook and began "cleaning" my teeth. I don't know where they get the idea that this technique is cleaning. I think she must have broken a sweat as hard as she was scraping my teeth. Then she did some "test" to measure how much my gums bleed by sticking them with a sharp object. I think that this used to be a torture technique that has been taught to modern dentistry. I had to take a look around because I thought maybe I missed the dentist's office and maybe I had accidentally walked into the tattoo/piercing parlor next door. She said,"hmmmm, your gums look like they bleed a little bit more than normal, that's not a good sign". I really just wanted to clamp down on her fingers with my teeth at this point. She then took pictures of my teeth with some high tech fancy camera. Here is the picture they took of my teeth.



If any of you have been around me lately you might have heard me complain of a broken tooth I have had since around November. Well it turns out I have two broken teeth. Both of them are going to have to have root canals done on them, so I get to go back to the dentist tomorrow to let her dig in my mouth some more. I guess maybe I should learn to take better care of my teeth.

7 comments:

Cassie said...

LOL...you and Jonny and your "torture", I swear! Sorry about the root canals that is definately no fun. Laura are they really going to use a pic of your teeth?

Audrey said...

Brian had to have a root canal done recently. Luckily our brother-in-law is a dentist and he did it for us for free!

Laura said...

No, they are not going to use a picture of my teeth. Adam was using exaggeration for the sake of the story! Everything that he said about himself is true. Can I just say that I've been nagging him about taking better care of his teeth since we got married. Some days I have to remind him to brush!

Allison Harris said...

I love it when I get patients like you walk in my door. I break out the power tools. YOu should just come over here next time, I have all the tools, and the syringes, we can just go medieval all the way. Then you'll see blood.

Jay and I are laughing at this post, you need to shave..and cut your hair...and brush your teeth.

Karlene said...

Adam, not only do you need to brush your teeth, but I think you need to get yourself to a barber. If you thought the teeth cleaning was fun just wait till you get that root canal. That's when the real fun starts.

Sarah Coyne said...

Oh bless. This is really funny! I'm just grateful we even have good dentists here! In England, our appointments lasted (I'm not making this up) approximately 32.5 seconds long. When we left the UK I ended up with 6 cavaties, even though I've never had any others in my whole life!

Karen Nelson said...

I have to confess, Adam gets it from me. I hate going to the dentist so much that I pretty much never go. I am afraid of the pain, the cost, the instruments, the sounds, the smells...need I go on?

But so glad y'all went! Laura keep up the inspiring words for Adam!

And Adam if that is you in that pic, I am not sure you are the Adam I gave birth to.