At work I do a lot of filing for the billing department. There is this long wall of filing cabinets filled with folders that all have typed and uniform looking labels. I needed to file some things today that did not have folders. I asked Joan, a sweet older co-worker, where she made her standard looking labels. She said she made them on the typewriter and that I could use hers to make some more. I replied, "I've never used a typewriter and don't know how to do it." She looked at me like I was joking and said, "You don't know how to use a typewriter? Why, that should be a mandatory class in high school." I smiled, thinking..."I didn't even know people still use typewriters. Why would they teach that in school?" It just made me think about at what a fast pace technology is moving. I remember before my family had internet and email...and now it seems I can't live without it! I wonder what it will be like in 20 years...Friday, January 18, 2008
Typewriters
At work I do a lot of filing for the billing department. There is this long wall of filing cabinets filled with folders that all have typed and uniform looking labels. I needed to file some things today that did not have folders. I asked Joan, a sweet older co-worker, where she made her standard looking labels. She said she made them on the typewriter and that I could use hers to make some more. I replied, "I've never used a typewriter and don't know how to do it." She looked at me like I was joking and said, "You don't know how to use a typewriter? Why, that should be a mandatory class in high school." I smiled, thinking..."I didn't even know people still use typewriters. Why would they teach that in school?" It just made me think about at what a fast pace technology is moving. I remember before my family had internet and email...and now it seems I can't live without it! I wonder what it will be like in 20 years...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I had to use a typewriter when applying for scholarship applications when I was in college. It was a pain! I am so glad that most things like that are on the internet now. It is crazy how quickly technology keeps moving forward.
Lita, I guess I've failed you by not teaching you how to us a typewriter. Nathan has one so we'll have some fun with it when you come home in March.
My parents had a typewriter when I was a kid and we had so much fun sitting in the basement typing up random things. But it does seem weird to me that a lady at your office uses one for labels. You can print labels on the computer...
I did have a class in high school that taught us how to use a typewriter! Wow now i sound old!
I took a typing class in High School on a typewriter. And Yes, I am old!! Computers are much easier to use and labels come out looking the same time after time. On the typewriter, it was always a guessing game for me. They are not easy like Microsoft Word!! Erasing was a pain too! I LOVE the "backspace" key on my computer keyboard. I use it all the time and I am really fast with it! Hurrah for technology!!
Thanks for the compliment on my art. How'd you stumble upon the site?
Your blog is quite humerous. I've enjoyed reading your entries.
that is hilarious. I used to love to play on my grandparents' typewriter when I was little. I don't think I could remember how to use one now though.
I would have to leave the job if I had to use a typewriter! Who, in all seriousness, still uses one?? I can't even imagine...
I want to take a moment to express what a joy it is for me to read your blog. It's an excellent release from the monotony of school and it's really nice to be able to see how you're doing. I'm happy you've learned about typewriters, and I'm sorry that you're so tired lately. "Ma" says you're coming home in March... I hope we can hang out for a little bit, though I know you'll be very busy catching up with your family and (forgive me) sleeping. :P Take care!
Post a Comment