Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day Six - Your Dream Job

Ta-Dah!  I'm doing it!

I think she was the smiliest baby ever!


Please get that flash out of my face!
Where has the last year gone?


My little cheeseballs!



For as long as I can remember, all I wanted to do was be a stay at home mom. In 10th grade my English teacher had everyone in the room take turns sharing what their dream job was. When she came to me, I replied, "I want to be a stay at home mom." She responded, "I don't think you understand. There are no limitations. If there was going to be nothing standing in your way and you could do whatever you wanted to do, what would it be?" Unfortunately for her, I don't think she understood. I told her that my answer was still the same, and she moved on to a girl who wanted to be a novelist.

Now that I'm here, I still don't think my answer would change. There are days when I get lonely for adult interaction, days I wonder what it would be like to use a vocabulary beyond "potty, boo-boo, and tummy," days I feel like I can't pretend to be Steve from Blue's Clues for one more second, days I lose my patience, days I sound like a broken record "Put your shoes on, put your shoes on, put your shoes on..."

But there are also days where C tells me, "Oooh, you look beautiful Mommy," days when J kisses me on the cheek just because, days when I hear them giggling in the other room, days when they remind me how blessed we are to live in this world Heavenly Father created for us, days when I can eat peanut butter and jelly for lunch, days when I feel the spirit tell me that I'm doing okay, days like today...when I look at their old pictures and realize it's going way too fast, and it hurts to breathe just thinking about the time when they won't be at home.

Nope, I don't think my old English teacher understood at all.

Here are some other jobs I think would be fun:
Professional Organizer
English and literature teacher (ironic, huh?)
Editor
Librarian
Gardener
Dietician
Pilates Instructor
Party Planner
Chorus Teacher

2 comments:

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

I loved this post. I really am so glad with how well I am getting to know you and so bummed we didn't hang out when we lived close. You reminded me how much my lifestyle right now really is a dream come true, you are such a great writer. AND I just read your comment on my blog and at first I didn't get it...duffle bag? Haha! Then I laughed outloud!I remembered hearing about it. That is hilarious.

Karen said...

Love this post and I can honestly say I understand what you are saying throughout it all. I always wanted to be home with my children too and I was blessed to be so. I will be forever grateful for that. Also...the not being able to breathe thing....understand far too well!