Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Eight Weeks

Today I took Charlotte in for her eight week appointment. Time is so strange when you have a child. I feel like she's been a part of my life forever...not that she's only been around for eight weeks. On the other hand, when I think of how fast the time has passed and quickly she's growing, it makes me feel like I don't have enough time with her. She is learning so much and growing so fast. She weighed in today at 10lbs. 8.8 ounces and is 22 1/4 inches long with a 37.5 head circumference. All of the measurements are average for her age.
She also had to get her shots today. Talk about breaking a mother's heart! She got one in one leg and two in the other. I've never seen her face turn so red...they definitly hurt! She was really good though and stopped crying as soon as they were done. I think I wanted to cry more than she did. What a blessing though...it's worth the small amount of pain now, to prevent more serious pains and problems later.
I found out today that Charlotte is going to need physical therapy. She has Congenital muscular torticollis (CMT)...which is a shortened neck muscle that causes the neck to twist. Many of you may have noticed that Charlotte's head is almost always turned in the same direction in all her pictures:
I wouldn't have been concerned about it, but a friend asked me about it (Thanks Starleigh!) and mentioned that some of her friend's babies had CMT. As her neck muscles have strengthened, her head hasn't been tilted as much, but I decided to ask the doctor about it today. The doctor said that it should be easy to correct with physical therapy and that it's good that we caught it early because it can often misshape the head. So, hopefully in a while we can get her neck muscles back to normal.
Here are a few eight week pictures just for kicks!

9 comments:

Jodi said...

Has it really been eight weeks? She is so cute. I love to see her on Sunday's in her pretty little dresses.

Amber said...

awww... she is sooo cute! I love that second to last picture of her smiling. She has such a sweet lil' smile! I'm glad you asked the Dr. about the neck thing so it will be easier to correct! I feel like I haven't seen you guys in forever, geez! I'm still trying to figure out something for the D week... =/

Rachel Holloway said...

SHE IS SO CUTE!!! What a doll!!! I just realized I never did your pictures! I am setting stuff up for family pictures this fall, so if you guys want to hope on the schedule, let me know! :)

Steph & James said...

Laura! 8 weeks, dang! Look at those cute little eyes and that beautiful hair! Good for you for asking the Dr. sounds like everything will be ok! I can't wait to meet her!

Karlene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karlene said...

Every time I see this beautiful little angel my arms long to hold her and my heart aches to be near her. I miss her so much, November better get here soon. What a wonderful mother you are and I am so glad she has been sent to such a terrific family. You and Adam are great! Love you all with all my heart.

Katie said...

I know how times flies! It's crazy one minute you are pregnant and giving birth than your child smiles at you for the first time, it goes too quickly! Charlotte is adorable and I LOVE her long hair!

Sarah said...

I know how you feel about the shots! I hate it and cry everytime. Yes I cry harder than my babies do! I can't believe that she is 2 months! WOW I love the last picture of her with the little clips in her hair! Can I just say...ADORABLE!!!

Alison said...

I hear the neck condition is pretty common since they are curled up in your uterus a certain way for so long. Chess had that slightly (did not need physical therapy) but it is amazing how strong she is now! It goes by so fast! I hate the shot process, but like you said, it's worth it. I'm glad you both got through it well.