So babies come with a lot of purchases (I knew what I was getting into). With all the options it gets a little overwhelming. You may find a post on here every once in a while asking for opinions and past experiences. I know that every mom/child is different, but I really just need some different points of view now and then. So, my question for today is:

VS.

Which do you think is better: a infant carseat/carrier (5-20lbs.) with an eventual upgrade to the convertable carseat or a convertable carseat (5-40lbs.) from the beginning?
11 comments:
I love having a carseat/carrier. It's so nice to have a handle- especially when they are young. Jaksen slept so well in it, and we didn't have to keep taking him out and putting him back in when we would go places. When he got a little older we found this awesome toy at target ( here's a girly one: TOY) SO worth it.
Have you thought about getting the stroller/carrier combo? I have one, and couldn't get around without it. =)
http://www.target.com/gp/search/602-2324367-8747007?field-keywords=bright+starts+carrier+toy&url=
index%3Dtarget&ref=sr_bx_1_1&x=0&y=0
We had the carrier/stroller combo and then got Greta the booster carseat when she turned 1. It was nice to have the carrier for church at the beginning because she would just sleep and we wouldn't have to bother her. But the strollers are huge and bulky. I was excited when she was able to use the umbrella strollers.
Ok, I like the carseat/carrier because it does have a handle and it is nice to have only when you go to a store with shopping carts because you can just put the baby in the cart. But I don't like them because I think that babies spend way too much time in them and should be held more. And eventually you will find yourself holding the baby and the carrier seperately. I have found with my very big, fat babies that they are always out of the carrier by about five months...yeah so I have to buy a bigger one. So I am not sure about your genetics but if big babies run in your's or Adam's family keep that in mind when you make your decision. Since it is your first I would maybe consider the other one because you will have the free hands. You will just have to bring your stroller into Wal-Mart or Target. Sorry I probably wasn't much help but these are some things that I have learned. The best advice I have is to just buy a cheap one! Seriously they are all the same. They actually have an adorable pink and purple flowered infant carrier at Wal-mart for just $40. It doesn't come with the stroller it is just the seat and base but it is sooo cute and affordable so if she only sits in it for a few months it won't be so bad.
~Sarah
Spencer is 8 months and still in his carrier, and it is SOOOOO much easier than carrying him. He often falls asleep and we can just carry him in wherever we are going--which is TOTALLY NICE. I say it's worth the money for sure! Are you buying a travel system? Or stroller seperate?
I know it isn't the cheapest way to go, but my vote is for the carseat/carrier combo. Especially when they are asleep and you don't want to wake them up. And if you baby has bad acid reflux, you doctor might recommend her sleeping in the carseat. Have fun shopping!!
Ellie is now too big for her carseat/carrier so we have to buy a convertable carseat, but it was so nice to have the carrier because when they are newborns and little babies, they fall asleep all the time, especially when you are driving somewhere..so then you just take the carrier with you and they can stay snoozin.(Grocery shopping, etc)
I loved my carrier for most of the reasons other moms have said. The biggest reason is that Carlee refused to sleep in our arms so I either had a fussy baby when I went other places or I had the choice to bring the carrier in with her and put her in it when she was tired. Carlee was a big girl and didn't fit into the carrier after 8 months so we just got the convertible car-seat then. She still fits into it. I have to say I agree with one of the moms up there that babies need to be held frequently however it is also important for babies to know that they are ok even when they are not being held. A child shouldn't have to be held all the time to be happy.
I would also recommend skipping out on the huge stroller carrier combo that you can get a lot of places. The stroller/carrier combos are big, bulky, expensive and heavy. I just used a stroller that was essentially only framework that the carrier clipped into. It was light and compact. Once Carlee grew out of the carrier she was old enough to fit into a cheap umbrella stroller.
Just some thoughts. Sorry it was so long.
Carrier!!! When they are young you want them to be able to lie down instead of having to sit up... their little heads fall to the side!!! Plus it's nice to just hold the carrier if you have a quick errand instead of having to unbuckle them. That's my opinion... :)
I would definately buy the infant carrier. When they are so tiny, it is nice to be able to leave them in the seat at the store or church or wherever you go. That way too, if they are asleep, you don't have to wake them up to get them out of the seat, you just take the seat with you. Good luck choosing!!
Post a Comment