Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Childhood Deprivations Lead to Irrational Adult Behavior


It's a known fact that I love cookies. In high school, I was known for my obsession with the cafeteria's wonderful chocolate chip cookies. I was also VERY upset when they changed the recipe (and was the only one of my friends who noticed). I would make a batch of cookies almost every weekend before I went to college. I would make enough for my entire family, but in the end would eat most of them myself. My family referred to me as "The Cookie Monster." Cookies were a part of the requirement in determining who I was to marry. Who ever this man was going to be, must show up at my door with a plate of chocolate chip cookies.

In all of this cookie-ness, I only remember a couple of times my mom would order girl scout cookies, and it was usually only one box. Yes, ONE box for six people! Do you know how that divides up? Not very abundant portions!

Well, about a month ago, the time of year came around for ordering girl scout cookies. I quickly slipped on over to the ordering sheet and signed up for five boxes of girl scout cookies. Today, the gorious boxes arrived! Then I realized, "What was I thinking ordering FIVE boxes of girl scout cookies for TWO people?" The woman I ordered them from commented, "You were by biggest order; my daughter really appreciates you." Gee, I ordered so many that I stand out. I really am a cookie monster! Embarrassed, I called Adam and told him there is NO way I'm riding the bus home with five boxes of girl scout cookies and begged him to pick me up from work today. My knight in shining armour agreed to the request. There is only one explanation for my ordering five boxes of girl scout cookies...it's a cry from my inner child who was so often deprived of girl scout cookies. Hopefully, next year I won't be so greedy!

8 comments:

Cassie said...

LOL! Well crap I'm sad I missed it. No girl scout offered me cookies. I probably would have been right up there in the 5 box range with you...Thin mints, who can resist them?

Rachel Holloway said...

That is SO funny!!! I am glad your knight in shining armor showed up and that you were able to get a ride instead of looking crazily obsessive about Girl Scout Cookies. :)

Amber said...

Yum! I would LOVE to help you out with eating those cookies... anything for a friend!!! Especially if there are those mint chocolate ones... YUM!!!! So when are we going to get together this week and play!?!?? I am so going to kick your pregnant butt at Dance Dance, whoo whoo! :p

Karlene said...

Don't try to make me look bad by only having ordered one or two boxes of cookies in the past. With your addiction we knew that those cookies would have been consumed before your brothers would have had their fair share. Do you need proof of that? Who just bought five boxes of cookies and how many will Adam really get???? Love you more than cookies.

Karlene said...

Don't try to make me look bad by only having ordered one or two boxes of cookies in the past. With your addiction we knew that those cookies would have been consumed before your brothers would have had their fair share. Do you need proof of that? Who just bought five boxes of cookies and how many will Adam really get???? Love you more than cookies.

Caralee said...

That was hilarious! So did you get the Samoan ones? I ordered one box of them and they called me to tell me they were in...Sunday. I told them to deliver them on Monday and I am STILL waiting for them- ever hoping that they will show up at any moment. I am somewhat of a cookie monster myself however ice-cream is also an extreme weakness.

Sarah said...

You know I live right across the street and I don't mind helping you eat some cookies! That is awesome. I probably would have ordered that many too.

Lara said...

shoot! I missed it!!! last year, i ordered SIX boxes!!! two tagalongs, 2 samoas, and 2 thin mints. and i bake cookies at least once a week. we should share recipes...but my oven here stinks, so i'm having to revamp lots of my recipes.