Thursday, November 15, 2007

Cassie's Rice Bag

This story begins eleven months ago, when Adam and I were a newly married couple. After having been married for about two weeks and living in Rexburg, we went down to Provo to visit Cassie and Jonny (Adam's sister and her husband). While we were there visiting, Jonny went snowboarding and hurt some part of his body (I don't remember what...maybe a shoulder). Anyways, Cassie insisted that he use the rice bag she had made. For those of you unfamiliar with what a rice bag is...it's fabric sewed up with rice inside that you heat up to make a heating pad. Jonny was not at all thrilled by the idea of using a rice bag because of the smell and resisted Cassie's attempts to put it on him. She had put mint inside the bag to make it smell good, but Jonny still thought it had an awful smell. The rice bag was quickly forgotten once Adam and I left Provo, until...

this past Sunday when my stomach hurt. If anything on my body hurt when I was living at home, my mom would bring me this heating pad that we've had for years. I really wanted the heating pad while I was in pain, but Georgia was too far away (so I couldn't borrow it from my mom) and it was Sunday so I couldn't send Adam to go buy one. Then it struck me...the memory of Cassie's rice bag! I went to the closet and pulled out a wash cloth and sewing needle and thread. I sat for about an hour sewing my rice bag together (I don't have a sewing machine...), and I put cloves in mine to make it smell good (but I think Jonny would still think it smells)! After heating it up in the microwave, it soothed my aching body! I was so happy and so proud of my little rice bag. I've been debating about whether or not to write about this because it's such a trivial and silly thing, but you know what...my rice bag makes me happy! Thanks Cassie for the great idea!

3 comments:

Cassie said...

I LOVE THAT STORY!!!

Audrey said...

One of my roommates had a rice bag and the rest of us would steal it all the time. I've also seen them made out of tube socks...you can drape it around your neck!

Christina! said...

lol
has anyone ever told you you sound like jane austen? your stories make me happy!