Friday, August 14, 2009

Fresh Produce Makes Me Giddy

I just finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle this past week. It's written my Barbara Kingsolver (you may be familiar with her novels, The Bean Trees and The Poisonwood Bible). This book accounts her family's experience with eating only local foods for a year, and it is one of the most interesting and inspiring books I have ever read. In a very entertaining way, Barbara Kingsolver has opened my eyes to the importance of knowing where our food is coming from and also the joy that is found in preparing food at home. I think this book is especially close to my heart because I was raised in a home where food preparation meant family conversation.
I won't go into all the details of the book, but it has inspired me to make changes as a consumer. The first step I've taken is buying local produce. Last night my friend, Sarah, and I ventured out to Countryside Farmer's Market which we found through the website Local Harvest. It helps locate local farms and markets. Can I just say that I have been missing out! I honestly had no idea how much fresh produce was available so close to my home. I got eggplant, summer squash, zucchini, onions, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, watermelon, potatoes for so much less than the grocery store. Another plus, everything I've tried so far has tasted much better. I can't help but get a huge smile on my face everytime I think about all the delicious meals I'm going to make this week. I'm excited to try new vegetables next week that I was a little hestitant to purchase this time.
Through all of this though, it makes me feel good to know that I'm giving a boost to the local community. Hardly any of the money I spend on produce at the grocery store makes it back to the farmers who produced it, but 80-90% of what I spent yesterday does. I LOVED talking to the vendors about their produce, livestock and families. Being able to make a personal connection to my food and where it came from has helped me become more grateful for it.
I encourage you to read this book. It will enrich your life and touch your heart and families, I promise.

7 comments:

Karlene said...

Awww, like mother, like daugher. I'm so glad you finally read this book. It is truely a treasure and full of the wonderful, simple things in life that make the journey better. I just wish you were closer so that we could do the farmers market together. There is nothing like it.

Rachel Holloway said...

sO---QUESTION. Do they take "the card"?? :)

Sarah said...

Amen sister! LOL Thank you so much for your inspiration to me to make the change. I have to agree the food is a lot better. I am anxious to try out those viking potatoes we got. I am really looking forward to going back. It was so much fun and now I know what to expect. =c)

Cassie said...

I love farmers markets. The ones in Cali had great produce but the prices were about the same as at the store.

And I love you and your insights. I would probably never thought of it like that. I'm glad someone does and that you share it. You are a good example for me and I help you "break the rules"...we are a good pair.

Charlissa said...

Remember that book you were reading when I came to visit and Adam was making fun of us for liking it so much?.... Was this kinda like that just more of a story?
I want that book we were reading. I forget what it was called though.

Steph & James said...

Have you guys been to the westside market yet? If not you MUST go, it's one of the largest local markets in the country: http://www.westsidemarket.org/

you'll love it, it's the greatest place for stuff like that!

The Frasers said...

That is so great! I am going to see if they have it at the library today! We have joined a food co-op here in Utah, the food is all local (except for things like bananas and avacados) and it is organic as well. We never know exactly what kind of fruits and veggies are getting until the week it arrives. We have been growing our own tomatoes, green beans and brussel sprouts. I will check out that Local Harvest website to check out places close to me :) I never really cared about food until I had a child of my own, now I kind of obsess about what goes into his little tummy!