Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Staff Meetings

If you were to ask my husband if I'm an emotional person he would clearly say YES. Now, I understand there are a lot of emotional people in the world. It's no big deal that I have feelings. For the most part, I understand a lot of my emotions. The one thing that I cannot figure out is why I feel other people's emotions so strongly. I guess that's the wrong way to explain it, what I really feel is what I think they should be feeling in that situation...whether they are or not.
This often happens to me when I watch movies. I begin to put myself in the movie and before I know it, I'm on an emotional roller coaster. I don't think this is quite so strange considering that it is probably one of the goals in creating a movie. Well, here's what gets me. Every few months we have a staff meeting where I work. I think many's initial thought would be...staff meeting?boring. Well, what if I told you that I have cried at every single one. I haven't sobbed uncontrollably or anything, but I always shed a tear or two. Now, what could possibly happen at a staff meeting that would make someone cry? I have NO idea. I don't think this is normal. It usually has to do with someone's promotion. Today, two people got promoted at the staff meeting. One of those became the new president of the company. As they spoke of his talents and past accomplishments, I began to feel that choked up feeling in my throat. Now, I hardly know the man being promoted. I've passed him in the halls a few times, but that's about it. I am confused as to why I'm feeling such strong emotions about this event. Then, they talk about the relationships he's built and all the service he's done for the company. At this time, the tears begin to well up, and I feel overwhelmed by what he must mean to so many people. I feel like I'm feeling all the love each person has for him and at the same time the joy and awe that the one promoted is feeling. Then I look around the room and no one seems to be feeling what I am feeling. I get frusterated thinking...why am I the one tearing up when I hardly know this person. Why am I feeling what they should be feeling? They are the ones who have worked with him for years and built those relationships. Yet, they all look like they're ready for an after lunch nap.
I don't really know what I'm asking or if I'm even asking anything through this post. I just don't understand how I can feel so much about something I'm not directly a part of.

8 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

I too am a disaster with things like that. I think just seeing how much someone has done in their life and how many people they affect is truly touching to me. It gives me something I want to look up to and strive for...kind of weird, but it's true. I'll be there crying with you should you ever need to watch a Hallmark commercial or listen to a positive speech!

The Waters family said...

I have three words for you....you are pregnant! It brings out much stronger emotions then normal!

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ the above post - you're prego! :) And you care b/c you're awesome. I never cried at the staff meetings... I just looked forward to the food! Who got promoted?

Brittany and Marcin said...

i'm going with prego symptoms too. however, i'm sure that person would appreciate the love!

Karen Nelson said...

Laura, I can really understand. I have been the same way my whole life! Yes, there are things...like pregnancy...which may make it intensify...but when it is there it is just there. I just believe that some of us are so sensitive and it is a very good thing except for when it comes to how it affects us. It can make me a miserable mess. Usually I feel things ever stronger than the person who is going through it feels because I imagine it so much worse. Or better, as the case may be. Since I am so much the same, I say you are normal. If no one agrees with us...too bad. We can FEEL it is normal for each other.

E said...

=) Seriously, the emotions I felt all throughout my pregnancy were crazy. I would cry over the most random things. Once, Mike's mom was showing me his baby book and we were laughing at all the silly things he did. I was laughing so hard, then a moment later I was crying my eyes out. But then at the same time, I have always been pretty emotional as well. I totally understand where you are coming from. I think its awesome.

Karlene said...

My dear Lita, I'm not surprised at all about your tender feelings. You have always been very sensitive to your surroundings and those that you come in contact with. You love as the Saviour loves and have true compassion. Not to mention, remember how you cried in "Harry and the Hendersons" when Harry goes back to his family at the end of the movie???
All these emotions started when you were just a little toad.

michelle said...

Your mom is right. That's what makes you so special! And it will make you extra good at dealing with people because you have such love and empathy. Oh yeah, AND you're pregnant.