Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Amish Country

I love Amish Country.  We've visited a couple times since we've moved here, but this was our funnest trip.  We went with our friends who grew up in the area, and so they knew of some really fun places to go.  Our first stop of the morning was at a free petting zoo.  They had all sorts of farm animals there that Charlotte loved petting and feeding.  Adam did too.  I enjoyed looking at them (I don't know why, but I'm not really fond of touching animals).
We also met Big Ben "The biggest horse in Holmes County" who stands at 19H 3".  He was really big!
Next to the petting zoo is a small bakery called Hershberger's where we got some amazing donuts and fresh kettle corn made in an actual kettle over a fire.  It was the best kettle corn we've ever had.
Our last stop was to Heini's Cheese Chalet.  They make and sell cheese...lots of cheese.
And the best part is that you get to sample every single kind (flavors like Italian Garlic Herb, Bacon Cheddar, Smoked Swiss, Jalapeno, Lacey, etc.)!  They have three walls of cheese samples and half a wall of fudge samples.  We didn't make it out of there without buying some.

3 comments:

Emily and Seth said...

What a fun adventure! Seth and I have never been, but we should go. That is a really big horse!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a really good time. Fun with the animals and the cheeses. I'd love to sample all those cheeses. Charlotte is getting so big and looking more little girlish than toddlerish if there is really such a comparison. Can hardly wait to see yall here in Texas in November.

Natalie said...

I'm so happy to see these beautiful pictures of your family in Amish country. Really I am.

But I much prefer to see pictures of a new baby boy, a beaming father, a proud big sister, and a tired but gorgeous mother.

Could you please hurry it up???