My first love was motherhood. I was always "the mother" when playing make believe in my childhood years and being not only the eldest child, but also the only girl, created the perfect opportunity for me to become a "mini-mom". My second love was music. I used to make up songs about how sad my life was because I had no sisters to play with, only rotten brothers (they seemed rotten at the time, now I wouldn't trade them for anything).Visiting home always seems to make me nostalgic for my high school chorus days. I sang various alto parts all four years of high school and loved every minute of it. The other evening I went to a play that was put on by my old high school. I went with my best friend, Heidi, who was right by my side for all those years of chorus. We used to sing for fun. In fact, our friends who weren't in chorus were often embarrassed by our need to sing for no particular reason. While there, we bumped into another chorus friend of ours, as well as the accompanist from all our chorus concerts.
Now we get to tonight and the reason for this post. My younger brother, Nathan, had a chorus concert tonight. He goes to a different high school than the one I attended, but at the end of the concert they invited all those who know the Hallelujah Chorus to come up and sing with the choir. Now, my high school choir performed the Hallelujah Chorus every Christmas season with the orchestra. We had rehearsed the song many times with no real incident. The night of the performance came, and I was ready to sing my heart out. Standing in the dim lighted cafeteria, the strings began their tune, and as I opened my mouth to sing, I found that I was choked up with tears streaming down my face. While I have always loved to express myself through singing, I had never felt such strong emotion come over me. At that moment, I was able to sing about Jesus Christ and let everyone know that He is my Savior. "Hallelujah! King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He shall reign forever and ever." So much joy filled my heart as I was able to share what I know through that holy song.
I had not had the opportunity to sing that song since I graduated from high school. Tonight, I was able to stand next to my brother and testify of Christ through that song. The tears filled my eyes again as I felt of the love that I have not only for my brother Nathan, but also for my brother, Jesus Christ. As I stood up there singing, I could not help but think of how glorious it'll be to sing my own glad tidings when the Savior comes again. I hope that when that time comes, I will be able to stand and sing with all of my family and the friends who have become my family. This Christmas, I wish that all could know of the love that the Savior has for each and every one of us. Tonight, I was given a gift through song. I was reminded of how precious all of our souls are, and I pray that I will be able to be an instrument for good in helping others find the joy that comes from opening our hearts to Jesus Christ.
6 comments:
Oh Laura,
We are so much alike! Music is so wonderful! It is the best when it is about the Lord. That is why it was so important to me to get a piano and learn how to play it. I am happy to report I can now play 9 songs in the simple hymn book. I plan to master the whole book as soon as possible, and then start on the hard one. It is amazing what it does for my soul when my home is filled with music. When you come home, you'll have to come over and sing Christmas songs with me. I know it will be over, but I don't really care. I would love it if it were always Christmas.
Sorry, I never got the noodle recipe to you!i didn't get to my email in time. I am pretty sure it is 1/3 cup flour, 1 egg, and a dash of salt. I hope you were able to figure it out. I am going in for my dental surgery tomorrow. pray for me. That's some help I could really use.
Have a wonderful week. We sure miss you guys.
Sniff. I am wiping the tears from my eyes and here you are walking into the room to see me blubber. (That happens when you're here in the same house with me, so glad you're here). I too love music, I just wish I could sing it...I think I'll be standing next to you when the Lord comes again while you sing Hallelujah, I'll have to shout it. But I promise I'll be right there next to you glorifying His name. I love you so much and I'm so glad we've had these past few weeks together, it has done my soul good. You're one of my greatest treasures.
What a beautiful experience. Thank you for sharing! Music DOES do such special things for the spirit--I am so glad you got to be there and take part in such an amazing opportunity!
Like you, our Acapella Choir sang that every year and I loved it so much. I was surprised when they asked everyone to come up and my sweet daughter urging me to come stand next to her and sing with her. I am not a Soprano like she is or know that part of the Halleujah Chorus so I just kind of improvised because I so wanted to hear her lift her voice with praise. It was inspiring. Kids and their friends and relatives of all faiths singing praise to our Savior and hearing the purity of my daughter's voice is something I will never forget. Thank you for sharing your love of music and the Savior with us. I love you, dear Laura.
Thanks for such a beautiful testimony of our Savior and the power music has on our souls. I understand how you feel. Music touches me in ways nothing else cam. It is the best thing for a heart that is not soft enough.
I appreciate that you are so willing to share such sacred feelings.
that's wonderful. :)
i really miss chorus. especially the annual Hallelujah chorus. it was so beautiful being up there with the orchestra in the foreground and your closest friends to sing with.
nostalgia is bittersweet.
Post a Comment