Thursday, December 13, 2007

Our $80 Mistake

When Adam and I moved into our townhome, the managers only had one key for our apartment. We had really good intentions to go and get another one made, but Wal-mart isn't very close to us and every time we did make a trip there, we'd forget about the key. Adam gets home from school before I get home from work, so it's never been an issue...he keeps the key. Well, Monday morning I had a doctor appointment, and I wasn't sure if I was going to come home afterwards or go to work. Since we only had one key we left it in our "secret place" for whoever got home first. Well, Adam got home first and then a few hours later had to leave to come and pick me up from work. When we got back home, he realized that he had locked us out...we could see the key sitting on our kitchen table inside! The management office didn't have any spare keys, and so Adam attempted to break into our own house. When we realized that all the windows downstairs were locked, Adam decided that he'd try the second floor. There wasn't anything near our house for him to stand on to help hoist him onto the porch roof, so he decided to drive the car over...across the lawn...so he could stand on that. After all that work, we found out that all the windows upstairs were locked too. The next thing I know was Adam was trying to jump off the roof. I asked him to just kind of slide back onto the car because the jump made me nervous. He thought that was even more dangerous and insisted on jumping...which he did...into a puddle of mud! We finally surrendered at this point and went to our neighbor's to find a locksmith in the yellow pages. We found one, and he wanted $80...in cash! He came and was able to unlock the door in about 3 minutes...maybe less. Adam decided he was going to quit podiatry school and become a locksmith ($80 in three minutes...not too bad!!!). I told him no. Needless to say...we now have three keys!

4 comments:

Brittany and Marcin said...

That's hilarious. The locksmith idea isn't sounding so bad right now... maybe i'll quit my job...

Cassie said...

I was wondering how you guys were gonna get it! I'm glad you have extra keys now and I'm glad Adam didnt roll his bad ankle while jumping off the roof! Maybe give a key to your neighbors?
PS. I still need to know what you guys want for Christmas...

Christina! said...

...another exciting chapter in Newlywed Adventures!

Anonymous said...

Hey, when did Adam know Laura??? It wasn't while we were in Ohio, was it? Sound familiar Laura? Can't wait for that bundle of joy!!!!