Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day Tripper

Saturday morning we woke up with no plans.  There was nothing we needed to do, no where we needed to be, no pager of Adam's to say: "You can't do anything more than 30 minutes away from the hospital." We were in bed trying to think up how to use our precious day. So I suggested a day trip to Pittsburgh (which really meant IKEA). I could pick up some "Mother's Day" gifts there. I have been wanting to go for a couple years now.  Adam replied, "Boring."  Well maybe not that bluntly, but more or less he declined my idea.  I got out of bed and started muddling through the daily tasks.  I usually don't muddle through them, but I was a little bummed.  About 30 minutes later Adam comes into the room where I'm getting J dressed.  He has a grin from ear to ear and he says, "Guess who's playing in Pittsburgh?  The Astros!  Let's go."  So we got ready (meaning Adam made Astros shirts for the kids to wear and I took care of all the logistics).
We stopped at IKEA first.  Happy Mother's Day to me...I got a few items to organize my pantry and the kid's room.
We then joined up with some friends we went to podiatry school with who moved to Pittsburgh at Primanti Brothers.  They serve some "almost famous" sandwiches that always include Italian bread, tomatoes, coleslaw and fries (all of those items come ON the sandwich...not as a side).  Our little girls were born a month apart and while they didn't remember each other they became fast friends and started begging us to take their picture.  I think they changed their minds as soon as we pulled the cameras out because we could not get them to look or smile at the same time.

After dinner we changed the kids clothes and headed over to the game.  The city is so pretty and has these big yellow bridges.  They close one of them off to walk to PNC Park.  Randee snapped a quick pic for us.
The game was fun.  We bought some seat from some guy selling tickets on the street.  We only bought four tickets and hoped that the seats next to them wouldn't be full so that the girls wouldn't have to sit on our laps the entire time.  We lucked out!
The kids were really good for the game.  I was a little surprised since we had been out all day, and I didn't bring any snacks with us.  The little boys had fun crunching peanut shells on the floor though.
We weren't really sure who we were cheering for.  While we all have to be Astros fans for Daddy, it was really hard not to get excited with the crowd whenver the Pirates scored (which was more frequently than the Astros...)
So fun to chat and catch up with friends during the game!

 Thanks to my hubby for such a fun pre-mother's day celebration/gift.  How will I ever forget the Mother's Day Adam took me to a baseball game?  I think for Father's Day I'm going to take Adam to see the most girly musical that I can find. :)  Seriously though, it was a wonderful day that I will always remember spent with family and friends!

3 comments:

Kellie said...

Looks like a fun day! I would have loved to see the Astros play, but that's probably because I'm from Texas, too :) We've been meaning to have y'all over for dinner. We move in June, so it has to be soon! Are y'all available the last week of May?

Josh Zuluaga said...

That sounds like a lot of fun Laura. I am glad that you had such a great day!!! I can't wait to have adventures like that with my family.

The Bald Eagle said...

How can you come anywhere close to equating a girly movie to the awesomeness of a baseball game!!!