Friday, September 24, 2010

Miscommunication

I consider myself to be very happily married.  I have a very supportive and loving husband who can makes me laugh every day.  Like any married couple, we have strong aspects of our relationship as well as things we need to work on.  Communicating clearly seems to be on our "work on" list.  Last night it really showed through.
For the past week or so I've mentioned to Adam that I would like to trim Jonas's hair around his ears and neck line...just clean things up a bit and make it even.  Adam kept telling me that he was just a baby and to not worry about it.  Well, Jonas's hair has also bee getting more wave to it as the days have gone by.  You can see it a little bit in the following picture.

Well, for some reason Adam doesn't care for curly hair on boys.  Last night after I mentioned how his hair was getting curly, Adam suggested that we cut it.  I agreed, but told him that I didn't want it super short...no buzz cut.  Just clean it up along the edges where it's getting curly and is uneven.  He agreed and we took Jonas up to the bathroom.
Adam pulled out the hair trimmer and said he was going to do a 2.  (I had NO idea what length that meant, but trusted Adam since I had just given him an example of a little boy's hair who I thought was too short.)  Well he starts running the trimmer along the back of Jonas's head, and I can't see from the angle I'm holding him.  Then Adam gets to the side, and I see how short it is and start freaking out saying, "That's too short...I told you not that short."  Adam says, "well, it's too late now."  I start crying because he's giving my baby a buzz cut.  Adam says, "Stop crying Laura. Our daughter is in the room and if she sees how you're reacting to this hair cut she's going to freak out when we have to take her to get her hair cut one day."  So, I fought back the tears.  Adam kept telling me how cute he looks.  I kept telling him that Jonas looks like he's five now, or in the army, or it makes his face look fatter.  It was all very dramatic.  So, here's my baby...with a buzzed head.  Seriously, who gives a two-and-a-half week old a buzz hair cut?
Apparently Adam and I need to work on our communication.  Luckily, we love each other and hair grows back (unless you're Adam).  ;)

15 comments:

Mother Goose said...

LOL! Jonas is still adorable though! I remember when Adam shaved his eyebrows.

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

Oh, sweet Laura!! I would have been DYING too. He's darling, with a buzz AND with curls. Hopefully they'll come back soon :) It reminds me of when Ty got his first haircut in NYC and the guy didn't speak English. Ty speaks Spanish, but didn't feel it necessary to USE that to tell him what he wanted. He walked out of there a total fuzz head. I was so sad.

Jeremy, Lana, Brenna ,Mason, Owen and Sadie said...

Hahaha this made me laugh out loud. Not that Jonas looks funny now (he's still just as adorable as before) but because I can see it happening at our house the same way. I cut Mason's hair though and Jeremy was a little sad. You guys are funny!

Amber said...

lol, so funny! Well, I think he looks cute even with his buzz cut! :)

Rachel Holloway said...

lol! Only Adam.... :)

mini-wheats said...

hahaha! He's still cute though, and I am sure it will grow out nicely :)

mini-wheats said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin Anderson said...

Still an adorable little guy! =) seriously...he is such a doll!

Starleigh said...

I LOVE this story! Same (sort of) thing happened with us. I wanted to trim Sawyers hair but wasn't ready for it quite yet. When I came home one day I didn't even recognize my baby! Jake had buzzed him while I was out!

Jenny G said...

Who gives a 2 1/2 week baby a haircut at all! He's still real cute...and you'll always have his longer hair to remember since we got pictures before Adam got to him:)

Karen Nelson said...

Oh Laura....you can cry all you want! It is always hard when your babies get their first hair cut and then to add hormones changing drastically from just having a baby. Wow....bless your heart!
Of course Jonas is still so very darling and his hair will grow back.

The Bald Eagle said...

Now you can get him a cute little camo outfit and teach him to say Hoo rah! That should be pretty easy for him to say! He is lookin' pretty good. Bald is beautiful...nearly bald is beautiful too.

Shae said...

Laura, I think he is absolutely precious!!!

Melissa said...

All I could do was laugh when I read this post! Then I got to the comments to tell you about it and read what "Mother Goose" said. HILARIOUS!!! Adam shaved his EyeBrows!!! Too Funny! Laura, you found a keeper! Hahahaha!

Jonas is a Doll-baby! I think he is the cutest little boy and I love seeing the pictures of Charlotte with him! She is such a Little Mommy and must adore him!

Cassie said...

Ok weird...I know I commented on this like a week ago. Did you delete it? ;) Maybe I just thought I did. I was laughing so hard and I was sad for you at the same time. That goofy boy you married. But take consolation in the fact that you will need to cut Jonas' hair multiple times before I can even consider cutting Hailey's hair!